The Niwot Historical Society offers guided walking tours of the Old Town Niwot Historic District to school groups, scout troops, and the public. Guided tours are also available in connection with annual Niwot festivals on July 4th and other special occasions. Please contact us for further details and arrangements.
Self-Guided Walking Tour brochure is also available. (Updated September, 2015.)
Resident Gary Ereckson’s “horseless carriage” on Second Avenue in about 1950 Niwot Historical Society Collection
Over the past several decades, the Niwot Historical Society has collected more than 500 photographs pertaining to Niwot and the Left Hand Valley. In order to preserve this valuable collection, a digitization project was undertaken in 2007. As a result, all photos are now digitized, and a small spiral-bound catalog has been assembled where the collection can be viewed by researchers and private individuals.
Niwot depot with Great Western sugar beet dump in the distance. Note the beet car parked on a sidetrack beneath the ramp. Circa 1916. Niwot Historical Society Collection
To more easily locate specific pictures, they have been divided into the following categories:
School Class Pictures
Second Avenue Scenes
All photographs seen on this website are from the Niwot Historical Society’s collection. To order copies for a small fee, or to donate more Niwot photos to the collection, please contact us.
Volunteers, Connie Herbst (left) and Laura Skaggs (right) accession a quilt into the NHS artifact collection
at an archiving workshop.
Niwot Historical Society Collection
The Niwot Historical Society maintains an artifact collection containing items pertinent to Niwot and the Left Hand Valley. There are currently over 145 artifacts in our archives. Our growing artifact collection began with a donation of local items collected by Niwot Tribune editor Doyle Hornbaker. Doyle published the town’s only newspaper from 1946 to 1958, during which time many townsfolk contributed memorabilia to him for safekeeping.
Historic items continue to be donated to the society, and each is labeled and accessioned to preserve it for future generations to research and enjoy. Many are displayed when our museum is open for special town celebrations. We also draw upon these collections for special exhibits and public outreach.
Our quest for additional artifacts remains ongoing. Recent acquisitions date from the 1950s to the present. Once accepted into our collection, each item is properly documented, labeled, and archivally prepared for storage.
If you have historic items or photographs you would consider donating, please contact us. Your precious family items can be preserved safely by the historical society while allowing you a tax deduction for the value of the donation.
Located next door to the Left Hand Grange Hall at 195 Second Avenue, the tiny Firehouse Museum is one of Niwot’s most unique historical landmarks. It is open to the public only when Niwot celebrates the Fourth of July and other special occasions. Learn more about Niwot Events.
Niwot Historical Society Collection
The map below shows the location of the firehouse, the yellow circle, next to the Left Hand Grange.
You can do a little or a lot — every little bit helps. Volunteering opportunities include:
- "Niwot, Now & Then" lecture series program committee.
- Artifact cataloging and archiving.
- Parades on the 4th of July and other special occasions.
- Special events booth on the 4th of July, Enchanted Evening, and other special occasions.
- Walking Tours of Old Town Niwot for school groups, public groups, and festivals.
- Membership expansion and outreach to public.
- Annual meeting program committee.
- Historic displays for the Firehouse Museum.
- Garden tending at Firehouse Museum patio garden.
- Holiday decorating at the Firehouse Museum.
- Social event planning for fun together with members and families.
Please contact us if you’d like to become active in the historical society.
Below are links to a variety of resources for additional information.
Niwot Community Resources
- Niwot on Facebook
- Niwot on Twitter
- Left Hand Grange
- Niwot Business Association
- Niwot Community Association
- Rotary Club of Niwot
- Left Hand Valley Courier
- Niwot Semi-Marching Free Grange Band
- Niwot Elementary School
- Niwot Middle School (Sunset)
- Niwot High School
Niwot Area Preservation Organizations
- Boulder County Historic Preservation Advisory Board
- Boulder County Register of Historic Places
- Boulder Library - Carnegie Branch Library for Local History
- Colorado Chautauqua Association
- Historic Boulder, Inc.
- Historic Lafayette
- Historic Longmont
- Louisville Historical Museum
- Nederland Area Historical Society
- St. Vrain Historical Society
- Estes Park Museum
Colorado Statewide Preservation Organizations
Colorado Preservation Resources
- Barn Again!
- Centennial Farms
- Colorado City and County Preservation Programs
- Colorado Register of Historic Places
- Colorado Scenic Byways
- Colorado State Historical Fund
- Colorado Travel and Tourism
- Cultural Resource Surveys (Architectural & Archaeological)
- Colorado Historical Foundation
- Colorado State Income Tax Credits for Historic Preservation
National Preservation Organizations
- Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
- Alliance of National Heritage Areas
- National Main Street Program
- National Park Service - Cultural Resources
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Preservation Action
National Preservation Resources
- Federal Preservation Tax Credits
- National Center for Preservation Technology & Training
- National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers
- National Historic Landmarks
- National Historic Preservation Act of 1966
- National Preservation Institute
- National Register of Historic Places
- National Transportation Enhancements Clearinghouse
- Preservation Briefs
- Preservation Directory
- Preservation Tech Notes
- Preserve America
- Preserve Net
- Save America’s Treasures
- Scenic Byways
- Secretary of the Interior’s Standards
- Section 106 Regulations
© 2012-2016 Niwot Historical Society. Hosting provided by the Rotary Club of Niwot.